Feeding Therapy Services by Daisy Kids Care in Houston, TX
Daisy Kids Care Can Make Your Child’s Life Easier
Daisy Kids Care is ready to help your child live their very best, healthy life. In helping your child overcome feeding difficulties, we also encourage eating healthy foods which provide the energy and nutrients needed for your child’s body to grow, aiding in brain development, and can also lead to maintaining a healthy weight as they grow. Working with the whole family, we strive to make mealtimes a soothing, easier time, and a place to connect. We understand there’s no one-size-fits-all solution to medical care, and we treat your child like the unique individual they are. Our friendly and knowledgeable team will do everything we can to make sure you and your child feel comfortable and get you the support you need when you need it.
What Is Feeding Therapy?
Feeding therapy allows a trained occupational or speech therapist to teach your child how to eat or eat better. Depending on your child’s unique needs (whether sensory, motor, or both), your therapist will create an approach to address any barriers to your child’s ability to eat.
Types of Feeding Difficulties
Our accomplished feeding specialists are trained in multiple pediatric feeding therapy techniques as a team of licensed and certified medical professionals. A feeding therapist can help with difficulties such as:
- Food aversions (an intense dislike of a specific food)
- Picky eating (an unwillingness to eat familiar foods or to try new foods, as well as having strong food preferences)
- Oral-motor difficulties (the inability to use the mouth effectively for speaking, eating, chewing, blowing, or making specific sounds)
- Swallowing disorders (problems swallowing certain foods or liquids)
How Does Pediatric Feeding Therapy Help?
Pediatric feeding therapy can help children overcome their feeding difficulties with an array of techniques including:
- Desensitization (children get used to easy things about food and eating first, and then gradually progress to eating more difficult foods using more mature skills)
- Oral-motor exercises (such as bubble blowing, drinking drinks through a straw, “playing music” with their tongue, smile movements, tongue “pushing” and curling, etc.)
- Behavioral interventions (for instance, using positive reinforcement and encouragement for taking bites, chewing, swallowing, using utensils, etc.)
Our Approach to Pediatric Feeding Therapy
From our initial evaluation to treatment, we work with you to create the best therapy experience possible, whether that’s at home, in our clinic, or in combination. Start by calling our office and speak with a referral intake specialist who can answer your questions. One of our therapists will then be scheduled to perform standardized testing, make clinical observations, and conduct a parent interview to identify your child’s current level of functioning in the areas of concern. An individualized treatment plan will be created, detailing exercises, goals, and where and when therapy will occur. A one-on-one individual plan will be developed for your child. Contact us today to begin an evaluation.
Our Exceptional Team
Our team is well-versed in feeding therapy for kids, from ages newborn to 21. We’ve worked hard over the years to build a reputation as the best pediatric healthcare service in the area. Our seasoned team has experience serving children with a wide range of conditions, including autism spectrum disorder, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, and speech or developmental delays. No matter the scope of your child’s needs, our feeding specialists are here to offer the most comprehensive care in the region. Voted one of the TOP Pediatric Home Health Agencies in Houston, Daisy Kids Care is a reliable support system for you and your child.
Choose Daisy Kids Care for Feeding Therapy
When searching for the best care for your child, you need to be sure you’re choosing a trustworthy provider. Daisy Kids Care has built a reputation for quality, caring service, and our mission is to uphold our standards every day. Whether you need extensive private-duty nursing for your child or only a few physical therapy sessions, we’re here for you. We do same-week evaluations, and you’ll never be put on a waitlist. Learn more about Daisy Kids Care now by giving us a call at (832) 895-3400 or filling out our contact form. Let us help you transform your child’s quality of life, beginning today.
Why Choose Us?
- No Wait Lists
- Comprehensive Care
- Fast & Easy Transitions
- One-On-One Patient Care
- Locally Family Owned & Operated
- Ongoing Quality Monitoring & Improvement